Monday, October 24, 2011

50,000 Ft. Goals and assumptions

I'm actually shocked to realize that this was way easier to do than I thought it would be.  I had a fit of inspiration in the shower, and I was able to knock this out in however much time since my last post.  I did cheat and listened to a short chapter in Getting Things Done about the 40,000 and 50,000 ft. goals.  I also looked at a lesson on stephencovey.com about the different areas for setting goals, the body, mind, heart, and spirit.  I really enjoy both of these books.

50,000 Ft. Goals and assumptions

Core Goal
My goal in life is to maximize the overall amount of happiness in the world.  I had the most impact that I could because I kept my body strong.  I was an ever increasing influence because I kept improving my mind.  My connections with other people allowed me to make this impact.  The spirit is what this is all about.

Belief and Assumptions
This can be best done by giving away the amount of happiness that you are most interested in
It will always come back to you stronger
You get the most attention or anything else by paying attention to others in the area
You get the most X by giving away the most X.
Maximizing the length of life without maximizing the quality isn’t worth it.  That’s because all the areas are connected.  Maximizing life without paying attention to the other areas is worthless.
Life is a multi variable equation, and some things go up and others go down.  You have to try and work on the variable that has the biggest dominance in the area you’re working.  In the end, I believe that happiness is the independent variable.
We’re constantly optimizing the next variable up.  Life is getting more and more complex, at an increasing speed.
The world is full of S curves of improvement
People can be happier when they know more about themselves and how things work.  I believe this because it is true for me, and it is taught in many philosophies.
Buddhism is a great philosophy, mainly because it’s an introspective look at how the world works
The world is an infinite place.  There’s too much scarcity thinking in the world and that generally holds people back.
There is always better than now, it just may be difficult to achieve.
Openness is good.  It’s hard to improve without it.  Openness breeds more openness.
Money is neither good nor evil; it’s all about what you do with it.
I believe I can do more good with a business than I could working at an NGO.
Children are one of the most difficult and most worthy proofs that you can actually execute on what you’re saying.
Knowing without executing isn’t worthless, but it’s not worth a whole lot either.
Absolutes are rarely that.

No comments:

Post a Comment