Friday, January 20, 2012

The Challenger Sale Review

At first I didn't know exactly what to think of this book.  It's not the best title because I didn't see the value of reading it right away.  However, it did do what it said and challenged the way I thought about sales.  In particular, it made me try and re-assess how I thought about my personal sales skills.  Actually, it gave me a few specific areas where I need to challenge myself to grow, which is exciting in itself.  It also gave me a new way of re-assessing people on my team.  It also gave me a new vocabulary to talk and frame discussions about sales and even sales coaching.

The book did something a bit odd while I was reading it.  I went from disagreeing with it or at least with specific points to incorporating it into my thought process.  I'm unsure of when or how the switch actually occurred along the way.  I could tell that it happened when I started thinking of myself as a challenger, although I wouldn't have said that originally.  I would have really liked to take a test before reading the book to find out where I actually fit along the continuum.

Most valuable insights
We've got to teach our customers that take them outside their comfort zone in order to be successful
We've got to take control of the situation and the engagement in order to be successful
Our message has to be sharp and a bit uncomfortable in order to make an impact
We need to align the entire organization to be successful
Finding something only your company can uniquely deliver is much more difficult than it appears

No comments:

Post a Comment